The Arts Council Napa Valley (ACNV) seeks a talented leader with strong communication and networking skills to manage existing ambitious programs and to help ACNV achieve its long term goals. Founded in 1980, Arts Council Napa Valley’s mission is to provide leadership to unite, support, and enhance the area’s exceptional arts and culture community. By building a network of advocates, organizing policy initiatives, and empowering the industry through education, information, and resources, ACNV aims to benefit all residents with a more sustainable, accessible, and quality local arts ecosystem. ACNV advances the arts in Napa County through a focus on industry support, government relations, and TK-12 education. Arts Council Napa Valley has an operating budget of approximately $500,000, with 2 full-time and 1 part-time staff.
Under the direction of the board of directors, the President and CEO has overall strategic and operational responsibility for the organization and works with ACNV’s governing board to ensure the organization’s relevance to the community. The President and CEO also provides direction to and enables the board to carry out its governance functions. The individual also represents the agency in the community and is its primary spokesperson.
Key Responsibilities of the Position
The President and CEO is responsible for directing and/or overseeing the following key activities:
Leadership & Management
- Ensure ongoing programmatic excellence.
- Manage rigorous program evaluation.
- Maintain consistent quality in the areas of finance and administration.
- Develop, maintain, support, and work collaboratively with the board of directors.
- Engage all segments of the organization and its community in the work of ACNV.
- Serve as the organization’s lead funds development officer.
- Work in concert with board of directors to effectively raise, manage, and steward charitable resources.
- Capitalize on external presence to strengthen existing contracts and cultivate new contract opportunities.
- Enhance all aspects of ACNV’s communications–from web presence to external relations–for heightened visibility, broader reach, and stronger brand awareness among constituents and existing and new partners.
- Serve as the chief spokesperson for ACNV.
Planning & New Business Development
- Realize the vision in the strategic plan to expand programs and services into new markets.
- Foster partnerships in the municipalities throughout ACNV’s service area.
- Establish effective relationships with political and community leaders.
All candidates should have proven leadership and relationship management experience. Additional base-level skill requirements are:
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- A demonstrated ability to work with small to mid-sized businesses in establishing long-term relationships.
- An entrepreneurial approach to business planning and execution.
- Three-to-five years experience in management.
- Prior experience in nonprofit administration.
- A bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution.
- Bilingual, Spanish-English.
- Familiarity with Napa County community and local business and social environments.
- A master’s degree in arts administration, nonprofit administration, or a closely related field.
- The organization is based in Napa, California.
- The salary range for this position is $75,000 to $80,000, depending on qualifications. The selected candidate will be compensated within this range at a level that is commensurate with the experience they bring to the position.
- Benefits provided including medical, dental, retirement and cell phone reimbursement.
Complete applications will include:
- Cover letter
- Names and contact information for three references
The deadline for applications is Monday, October 22, 2018. All materials must be submitted electronically to Laurel Sherman, WESTAF Search Manager, at NapaValley-Search@westaf.org. Please note that only electronic applications will be accepted. Questions about this search and clarification regarding the qualifications and qualities sought can also be directed to NapaValley-Search@westaf.org. You can download a PDF of the position announcement here.